Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Work...

Most, if not all, of you know that I am an oncology nurse. The reaction I get most often is "isn't that depressing?" or "I could never do that". Those statements are commonly made with a "I'm so sorry you have to deal with that" look.

I usually just respond with, "I love my job." Because I do. I truly love what I do.

Is it depressing? I would be lying if I said no. But I would also be lying if I said my job isn't full of joy, fun, and laughter. Not everyone with a cancer diagnosis is dying. C-a-n-c-e-r spells cancer...not death. It spells a challenge to overcome. Yes, people die from cancer. I've seen the disease take way too many people from their friends and family way too early. My patients and their families are wonderful people. I take great pride in being able to comfort a family when they come in, deer in headlights, having just heard "You have cancer". I take great pride in being able to give them hope and make them believe that they WILL make it through. No, it won't be easy but it can be done. And if, sadly, the treatments don't work I take great pride in being able to be there for the patient and their family. It is amazing how, sometimes (many times), we as nurses become extended family. We grieve with them. We cry, we laugh, and yes, we get scared too.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me when people say "Oh, I could never do that". Well, we're lucky there are people who can. I could never work with kids, or in the operating room, or in OB/Gyn. I'm lucky there are people who can.

My co-workers on 6-3400 get me through. I look forward to going to work because it means I get to spend time with some of my best friends. We have seen each other cry, we make each other laugh (A LOT), and we are genuinely good friends. I think our patients appreciate that we are all so close and that we make such a great team. I have had so many people tell us how great it is to be on our floor because we are all so "fun" or because we all "get along so well". We really do. I am so very lucky to work with the people I do :)

So, that is why I do and why I do it. It is also why I run and raise money. I would be perfectly okay if I woke up one day and didn't have a job...that would mean we found a cure for cancer and oncology nurses weren't needed anymore. Please donate and help me find a cure.

xoxo
Cassie
http://pages.teamintraining.org/wny/nikesf09/cadamsemxc

No comments:

Post a Comment